Saturday, September 6, 2008

Summertime...

...and the living is easy.

Summer is, for me, synonymous with absolute freedom. And what better or more ironic way to express the love I have for that freedom than through a few little lists (I like lists, if you haven't noticed yet).

Five Things I Love About Summer:
1. Summer fruit - strawberries, raspberries, gorgeously succulent valencia oranges;
2. Walking home (barefoot, of course) in the sunlight at 7 pm;
3. Warm salty ocean water;
4. Beach hair;
5. Doing everything on the veranda.

Five Things I Did Last Summer:
1. Worked my butt off waitressing for England money;
2. Came Of Age and took good advantage of that;
3. Went to Clovelly Beach so often I'm on first name terms with the blue groper;
4. Came to love my best friend so fiercely that I thought I'd accidentally burn down his house;
5. Swam in the ocean so much that I actually was a mermaid for a moment.

Five Things I Will Do This Summer:
1. Rehearse for the best musical in the history of the world;
2. Become a bohemian market goddess with my own stall;
3. Become a seamstress to rival Arachne;
4. Simply keep loving my best friend, and not let him forget it;
5. Swim away my days in the arms of my first love, the ocean.

It is those last five thoughts that are really sustaining me through a particularly horrid bout of university coursework.

Well, that and Bogoroditse Devo, the most heavenly piece of choral music ever written.

It's from Rachmaninoff's Vespers, please find it and listen to it because I guarantee you will see the face of God in its every note.

Let it sustain you all until you too can be caressed by the ocean, and by the many other pleasures of the summer months.

No comments: